The fire that ravaged the forest of La Teste-de-Buch led on July 13, 2022, to the closure of departmental road 218 between the roundabout giving access to the reception area of the Dune du Pilat and Biscarrosse. Since December, the road has been open to traffic, in compliance with the restrictions of the prefectural decree of December 16, 2022.
The site owned by the Conservatoire du littoral de la Dune du Pilat (490 ha, i.e. 194 ha of dune area and 296 ha of forest, including 211 ha in user forest) was strongly impacted: only 26 ha of user forest, to the north of the Grand Site de la dune reception area did not suffer any damage.
Very quickly, the Conservatoire du littoral hired the necessary forestry expertise, the objective being to define the emergency work to be undertaken to ensure the safety of the public welcomed to the reception area of the Grand Site and the users authorized to circulate on the DR.
The progress of work to secure and fell the burned trees, carried out in this area, allowed a return to circulation of all vehicles since Saturday, December 17, 2022, in compliance with the restrictions described in the prefectural decree.
- The maximum authorized speed is lowered to 50 km/h or even 30 km/h on the less secure sections.
- The road may be closed from time to time due to necessities and weather conditions.
- The parking is prohibited all along the axis between the Dune roundabout and the southern limit of the Gironde department.
- The cycle path PC804 which runs along the RD 218 remains closed over its entire course. Cyclists will have to take the RD218 shared with vehicles.
- Access to the forest massif remains strictly prohibited, according to the provisions of the municipal decree of the municipality of La Teste-de-Buch of September 30, 2022.
- Access to runway 214 is prohibited according to the provisions of the prefectural decree of August 9, 2022.
- The only authorized access to the beach is the one that provides access to the Petit Nice car park. This car park can nevertheless be closed if the number of vehicles justifies it. Access to the beaches of La Teste-de-Buch is prohibited, from the access path to the beach, at the level of the Petit Nice car park to the sign showing the southern limit of the regulated swimming area on the beach of the North Salie. Consult the prefectural decree in force here.
- Compliance with these temporary restrictions is subject to reinforced controls.
The services of the State, the departmental road management council, the municipality of La Teste de Buch, are continuing their work to allow the restoration of normal traffic conditions on the RD 218 and the cycle path. For the time being, they call on road users to strictly respect the measures implemented for their safety and that of all those involved in the disaster area, in particular due to the maneuvers of heavy equipment for the evacuation of logs which chase and the debris they generate.
Find detailed information on the conditions of opening on the site of the Gironde Prefecture.