The summer of 2022 was marked by a disaster which ravaged the forest massif of the municipality of La Teste-de-Buch. The reception area of the Grand Site of the Dune du Pilat suffered significant damage following the interventions of the fire and rescue services to prevent the fire from spreading. A pocket of parking was completely destroyed and part of the outdoor facilities – then in progress to improve flow management – was also damaged. Since then, work has resumed.
Find out what has changed on the site since their launch in September 2021 and the upcoming schedule!
DEVELOPMENTS ALREADY COMPLETED
- A new cycle path from the entrance to the reception area. Under forest cover and away from vehicles, this new track allows you to enjoy nature and immerse yourself in this protected natural area. Bike racks are available to everyone before accessing the path leading to the Dune;
- The requalification of the main service with the recalibration of the road network and the integration of specific parking lots and pedestrian paths ;
- repositioning parking spaces reserved for people with reduced mobility, the creation of those dedicated to electric vehicles and two-wheelers (charging stations for bicycles and electric cars to come);
- The decline in traffic and parking on the outskirts of the village of cabins to provide secure pedestrian spaces and to reinforce gentle circulations ;
- Development of the first phase of the pedestrian bus service at the entrance to the site with flooring suitable for natural spaces.
- The redevelopment of the pedestrian axis in its own site. Designed as a large, wide and comfortable promenade, it crosses the entire reception area from east to west, from the bus stop to the village of cabins. This arrangement makes it possible to limit the disordered paths which erode the sandy soils.. In addition, a plot in wooden decking under plant cover will be created from mid-November. This is where the main pedestrian flows will converge.
- The parking spaces dedicated to buses have also been reorganized and lined with platforms in wooden decking to PMR standards., facilitating pedestrian traffic in optimal comfort and safety conditions.
CURRENT AND FUTURE: from November 2022 to March 2023
Other work is still in progress to make the routes more fluid and the pedestrian circulation secure vis-à-vis cars.
The rehabilitation offers the opportunity to optimize the operation of service parking areas with hindsight to the south, technical infrastructure and services (deliveries, waste collection areas, etc.).
In order to ensure the greatest landscape integration of this equipment, a landscaping treatment of de-artificialized areas will be undertaken (planting of trees and shrub stratum, development of relaxation areas near the village of huts, organization of plots, installation of a directional signage, etc.).
In addition, a tour will be carried out to guide the public, give meaning to the discovery of the Grand Site and extend the scope and intensity of the lived experience. It will be based both on “stations” positioned at strategic points on the reception area and on the interior layout of the three buildings of the village of cabins dedicated to welcoming the public and to cultural mediation and scientist.